Varsity Boys Soccer Wins at U.P. Championships

Varsity Boys Soccer Wins at U.P. Championships
MSHS Varsity Boys Soccer – 2019 U.P. Champions

The MSHS Varsity Boys Soccer Team capped off their 12-5-1 season by winning the varsity division of the U.P. Boys Soccer Invitational that was held at the Kaufman Sports Complex in Marquette on Saturday, 10/19/19.

The tournament win marks the 12th straight U.P. Championship for Marquette.

Semifinal:  Marquette 4, Iron Mountain 0

In the morning’s semifinal game, Marquette beat Iron Mountain 4-0.  Trevor Salmon started the scoring off a pass from Mack Vezina.  Vezina then extended the lead with an assist credited to Axel Vermaat.  Nick Asmus made the score 3-0 before halftime with a Salmon assist.

In the second half, Zane Phillips capped the scoring with an unassisted goal.  Harrison Anthos got the shutout win in goal for MSHS and recorded eight saves in the contest.

Final:  Marquette 6, Kingsford 2

In the championship game, Marquette faced off against Kingsford, who defeated the Bayside Soccer Club (Escanaba) in the other semifinal game.

Marquette jumped out to an early lead in the championship contest when Joe Lagrou blasted in an unassisted goal from just outside the 18 yard box.  Trevor Salmon then made it 2-0 with a penalty kick conversion.  Just before the halftime break, Kingsford was able to cut into the MSHS lead with a goal to make the score 2-1.

Early in the second half, Kingsford tied the game at 2-2 with a goal coming about five minutes in.  From there, it was all Marquette with MSHS pouring in four unanswered goals for the 6-2 win.

Axel Vermaat had the game winner off a pass from Mack Vezina.  Trevor Salmon made it 4-2 on his 33rd goal of the season (assisted by Nick Lindberg). Nick Asmus scored his second goal of the day (assisted by John Weber) before Max Dawson capped off the scoring (assisted by Vermaat) for the 6-2 win.

Harrison Anthos again got the win in goal for MSHS and faced 11 shots in the final game.

From Head Coach Dan Menze:

“It was an amazing season and really ended on a positive note with a couple of players having scored their first varsity goals in a couple of our biggest games of the season.  The seniors and all the kids really poured it all out on the field for the final two games of the season and I couldn’t be happier with the results.

(We) played a very solid first match against Iron Mountain.  They came out fast and physical but we were able to overcome and took the lead off of a beautiful shot from Trevor Salmon and never looked back.

The Kingsford game was a very hard fought first half with both teams missing some good opportunities.  We felt good being up 2-1 at halftime, but saw some adversity after Kingsford got a free kick and had a great shot from outside the 18 to tie the game.  The team then showed their true toughness after that point with everyone stepping up to control the game from that point forward and capitalize on the chances we were afforded.

What a beautiful day it was and some great soccer to watch with a great team to be able to coach.  They are truly an amazing group of young men.”